Sunday, June 17, 2012

Spain pains

This trip is not going anywhere near as well as I was hoping it would.

Number one, this foot injury that's come out of nowhere has torpedoed pretty much every plan I had for my first week in Spain. I had wanted to go on hours-long hikes of the surrounding neighborhood to where I'm staying, just to see what I could find; that has so far proven impossible. I also have no idea how to go about finding a doctor, and my roommate works all day long on days that a doctor's office would be open. This also threatens to compromise my further plans of going to other cities and walking around.

Second of all, during this trip I was looking forward to meeting and hanging out with foreign women, with the secondary goal of getting better at speaking Spanish in the process. As it turns out, it's extremely intimidating to try and approach a woman when you can barely communicate with her; suddenly wit and charm become useless, and it's all about body language charisma, something that I sorely lack with strangers. So, that's been a bust thus far.

And about speaking Spanish... I still suck at it. I realize it's only been a week, but I don't feel even an inkling more proficient in it than I was before I got here. At best, I've maybe learned like 10 new words, and I couldn't even tell you what they are right now.

I am not a fan of the food here either. Nothing is filling to me, and everything is filled with copious quantities of vegetables, which I don't really like. The supermarkets are filled with strange foods, many of which don't look very appetizing.

I guess that's all. I just needed to vent somewhere, and people on Facebook don't want to see this depressing crap on their news feed. Maybe it'll get better soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment